[at-l] Thru Hike Questions

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 15:59:42 CDT 2008

Joe, I'd second what Ken (I think it was Ken) said about a mattress pad.? Sleeping on bare ground (or with just a sleeping bag) will suck the heat right out of you when it's cold.? And if you start the first of March, it WILL be cold at some point.? When it's cold, it's not a luxury, it's a way to decrease your chance of hypothermia.

I did trail support for a hiker (started mid-April) in 2007.? He did not take a stove.? It's a pretty hard core way to go, and it really limits what you can eat.? I shipped his packages, and I can say that I'd have been throwing up?if I tried to eat?his poor, repetitive diet.? I shipped a LOT of candy, nuts, granola bars, pepperoni and summer sausage, bagels, peanut butter and nutella, homemade brownies and bars, and dried fruit.? He finished the trail in 4.5 months; it was his fourth AT thru.? He did try to eat hot food every time he hit town.?

If you want to talk to him (he lives just east of Orlando), write me back for his e-mail and phone.?

If the weekends and breaks work out right, in some years, it is possible to experience cold on the FT.? I did a tiny backpack trip in mid-January 2002 where the lows were in the low 20's in the Ocala NF.? I also saw it go to 17 one New Year's in the Ocala.

Joan
bluetrail at aol.com