[at-l] Headlines, 2048 Re: watt

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 18:53:07 CDT 2008

HEADLINE NEWS, OCTOBER 27, 2048:
In the Hundred Anniversary Year of the first Appalachian Trail Continuous Completion (called a "thru-hike" at the time, as it was done entirely on foot), a New Record has been certified on the Appalachian Greenway Trail of 76 hours, 47 minutes, 32 seconds, crushing by 13 minutes the former record set by Olympic bicyclist Jenna Brown. The new Record Holder, one Michael Valentine Smith of Mars (state undetermined) completed the arduous 2450 mile ride by relying only on the beer and nutrient mixes passed to him at 100 mile intervals over the vast length of the newly-repaved and freshly lit trail. Said Smith of the recently completed repaving, "This repaving was driven by the wheelchair crowd, to whom I owe this Record. I had heard that some of the southbound uphills would be treacherous, as there was a switch to cobblestones on the sun-deprived hillsides, but the decades of trail-smoothing, boulder-grinding, and incline-stretching, along with the
 traffic-lights access triggers, really helped me out. I am most grateful to the AGTC, and intend to submit an application for a Lifetime Membership as soon as my blisters heal. Earl lives, man. This is just great."