[at-l] Message: 3 Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:19:43 -0700 (PDT) From: Tom McGinnis <sloetoe at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: Trail Magic at Hot Springs To: at-l <at-l at backcountry.net>, Art MacAilein <macailein at gmail.com> Message-ID: <225800.51317.qm at web110407.m

Jan Lite liteshoe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 23:37:36 CDT 2008

>Wait til a rainy day, then bring some hot chocolate up to Max Patch. WOW.

This was my exact fantasy the very first time I clumb it, kicking steps in
the icy snow with my brand-new trail runners, wind gusts up to 50 mph to
knock you over.

  Wind ripped my new pack cover off, and as I bent to retrieve it, the gusts
hit my pack and bowled me over the lip.
Only by clawing wildly at sharp shrubby sticks and brambles did I stop my
ignominious roll down Max Patch.
Talk about your "drama. WOW. "

It was my first backpack ever, first time on the AT, and it snowed April 16,
2001.
I was all alone, unnerved, cold, snow down my back, chapped and scratched
up.

I sure could have used that hot chocolate and a kind word*...

Just sayin...'
;-)

* with a shot of rum, would have been over the top ;-)

--
"The Ordinary Adventurer"
A new backpacking adventure book