[at-l] The Story of Stuff (Note: NOT politics)

rcli4 at comcast.net rcli4 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 11:14:02 CDT 2008

I have been preaching to you folks for years to plant trees.  There is no global warming with more trees.  Besides it gives you something to shoot from behind when the revolution comes

Clyde

From: "Jan Lite" <liteshoe at gmail.com>

You know, I've seen this URL kicked around for at least a year.

Since I'm putting together a local "Urban Farming/Sustainability" tour in our area for next spring and was looking for reference info to put up on the website, I decided to finally watch the 30-minute video.

WOW is right. It's the best argument for sustainability I've seen so far.
It's the only game in town, really, some just realized that yet.
"Ask your grandma."

This  even gets back to the "Last Child in the Woods" thing. I observe that those who love the natural world (as do folks here), have some feel for where their food comes from and the need to "leave no trace."

Forget who is elected and feeling disempowered. True rocket fuel is in our wallets.
"The golden arrow of consumption" points to our own backyards, and that is where any true change will happen.

Maybe instead of snarling politics, we could brainstorm some genuine actions, personal things,  that add to the solution. Not one-upsmanship or greener-than-thou, but real ways to make a stand.
Got practical, down-home ideas?
I'll put some of mine in another email.

Here are some the website offered to get started:
"Each of us can promote sustainability and justice at multiple levels: as an individual, as a teacher or parent, a community member, a national citizen, and as a global citizen. As Annie says in the film, "the good thing about such an all pervasive problem is that there are so many points of intervention." That means that there are lots and lots of places to plug in, to get involved, and to make a difference. There is no single simple thing to do, because the set of problems we're addressing just isn't simple. But everyone can make a difference, but the bigger your action the bigger the difference you'll make. Here are some ideas:
http://www.storyofstuff.com/anotherway.html

May I take this opportunity to tip the hat to my conservative hiking partner of The Long and Hard Trail, THEE Clyde, who plants gobs and gobs of trees in his spare time. For his grandkids, and ours too.

>Message: 10

>Subject: Re: [at-l] The Story of Stuff

>http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Fan-TAS-tic!

The best, most complete picture I've seen in ("Oi!") 30 years, including my own education from Treehugger U.

Wow!!

--
"The Ordinary Adventurer"
A new backpacking adventure book