[at-l] Fw: Re: Books about Maine

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 19:47:23 CDT 2008

The opening sentence of _Rabble_In_Arms_:
"It was Cap Huff who said that no business or profession, not even the managing of a distillery, can provide the profusion of delights to be encountered in a good war."

Who is Cap Huff? Cap Huff is physically huge, earthy in presentation, fiercely kind to his few friends, smart in tactics, short on strategics... gifted in finding rum or mutton in the middle of a battle.
"Cap Huff shook his head over the behavior of these militamen. "Stealing's like killing," I heard him say to Doc. "There's times when you can kill a feller in spite of the Bible, and nobody'll think any the worse of you for it, except maybe the feller that gets killed don't take no liking to you for it. Then, again, there's times when it's kind of a public duty to steal a little here and a little there; but you got to use judgment about it, same as about killing and kissing and everything else. There's some of these soldiers, not Continentals, that ain't got no judgment about nothing -- not about nothing whatever! They'd steal anything from anybody, even from each other; and I wouldn't trust 'em to use a mite of judgment about who they kiss or who they kill." p823, Rabble in Arms, 1933.

Cap Huff's first appearance is (I think) in _Arundel_...