[at-l] Stop, drop and roll

Steve Miller atlists at millers-house.org
Sun Sep 7 05:27:56 CDT 2008

As one who has designed such interfaces, the simple answer is for data
accuracy.  Since there are only 50 choices (plus a few more if you count
territories and districts), it is easy to make a drop down - pick one
list box.  It tends to reduce the chance that someone will enter an
incorrect code for their state (like PN for Pennsylvania - yes I've seen
that!), especially lists that give both state name and abbreviation.

Personally, I now prefer to simply ask for zip code, which I can use to
look up city and state.  It only requires 5 digits from the 'user' and
guarantees accurate and consistent spelling of city and state codes.
Any company that deals with shipping products is usually very concerned
with standardized addressing (for postal rate savings) and wants to
minimize any deviation that individuals may give to such spellings.

I really hate to see you losing income worrying about such things.  In
the end (in theory at least), they are done to save you money!

Steve "Up To Somethin'"