[at-l] another year's today

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sun Sep 7 21:15:56 CDT 2008

We got up and climbed out of our mud hole. It was one of those typical,
eerily foggy White Mountain mornings. Couldn't see much between our
campsite and Mizpah Hut. Stopped in for some leftovers and water...then,
pushed on.  Three things stood out for me on this day:
I met a man on the ledges of Mt. Webster who said "Oh, you're Felix?"
We had the best trail magic (in terms of goodies on the trail) of the
entire hike. Oranges, Oreos, Cokes and cookies!!  Very rarely does a
southbounder get such a bounty. This was at/near the Saco River...which,
I believe, is near where Rockdancer has been magicking lately.
 Stoat was talking to a guy on the other side of the highway in Crawford
Notch. They talked for a minute or two....and, we (I caught Stoat as
they wrapped their chat) hiked on. About 25 seconds later, the man
yelled at us "Oh, do you want a smoke?"  Not knowing if either of us
smoked...and, not knowing that Stoat was trying to quit.

We had a pleasant evening at Ethan Pond Lean-to.  How could you not have
a pleasant evening at Ethan Pond Lean-to?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98