[at-l] glucosamine, one more time...

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 05:33:11 CDT 2008

Preference? Yes and no.

Pharmacologically, the hydrochloride is supposed to provide more bio-available glucosamine than the sulfate (by a factor of 2[!]). I THINK I MAY have noticed that over time. Maybe.

As far as "alone" or w/chondroitin or w/MSM, I have definitely noticed some degree of better results "with" something else than without, but have varied between the chondroitin and MSM without coming to a conclusion between the two. On a fiscal note, you *will* pay more per dosage with the added goober, but likely (NOT always) will pay less than buying two separate pills with the same net ingredients.

On another note, it was mentioned that glucosamine is "good for cartilage," and of course that's true, but the thing is, glucosamine (and chondroitin and MSM) provides building blocks for ALL connective tissue -- material usually from small, poorly supplied, poorly tapped little factory cells IN your joints. Think of these pills as subsidized inputs for shipment into cartilage, tendon, ligament, the sinovial fluid the bathes much of it all, and the tendonal sheathes that surround all those painful support strands that love to be strained. So when glucosamine does its thing, it's working on much more than just cartilage, but on the [insert fifty cent word] lubricity of all your motion-oriented connections.

Good stuff, that.