[at-l] Espy footage, screen, airport pick-up

Weathercarrot weathercarrot at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:15:40 CDT 2008

Hey there -

I've got a few more important Gathering items to pass along that we really need some help with:

First, which is the most time-sensitive - I'm currently working on the audio-visual portion of the Gene Espy tribute, which will be part of the
Friday night program.  I have a VERY limited amount of material to choose from.  I wanted to use some of the photos and video footage again
that I used in the ALDHA 25 documentary, but I have no access to the source material.  If anyone out there has any photos or video of Gene that
we can use, and that could be emailed to me by no later than tomorrow (thursday the 11th), let me know. I have to finish editing by Saturday.
Quicktime format would be best for video footage.

Second, our feature presenters for the Saturday evening program, Gregg Treinish and Deia Schlosberg, will need a shuttle from the Roanoke
airport on Friday night around 10:30pm.  I realize that it's about the most difficult time, given that we'll all be on campus attending the opening
session, but they were unable to find a flight that gets in earlier that day.  If there's anyone out there who was planning to arrive late that night
anyway who will be passing by Roanoke, let me know. We would all be eternally grateful.

The third item is the issue of the screen in the auditorium.  Redneck Rye sent me instructions for creating a large tyvek screen (discard the rebar part below - this would be free-standing somehow on the stage).  Perhaps we can do a variation of this:

<< I made a screen that is about 6'x8' out of a piece ft Tyvek attached to a frame of 1" diameter PVC by zip ties. The frame is a rectangle with
two 24 inch long legs that extend down past the bottom of the screen.  The couple of times that I have set it up (outside) I used 2 pieces of rebar
pounded in to the ground and lowered the screen legs onto them, then used thin cord to guyline the screen out from the top.
I reinforced the edges and corners of the Tyvek with duct tape so that I could snug the zip ties down and not have to worry as much about the
Tyvek ripping out. I already had the tyvek, ties, and tape, so my cost was less than $20 for the PVC and it took about half an hour to put together.
I bought 4 8' long pieces of 1" PVC, 2 90degree PVC connectors, and 2 PVC "T" connectors.
Making a 24'x14' screen shouldnt be too difficult, Tyvek comes in a 9' wide roll (at least the stuff I got from a construction site was that wide)
and it works fine as a screen material.  It might be a good idea to use 1/2" PVC as a cross brace at the midpoint of the 24' long section.>>

If anyone is feeling motivated to do a volunteer screen construction project as a donation to ALDHA that could be used over and over again at future Gatherings and other trail events, let me know.  We've had screen issues before at Concord and other venues, and it would be great for ALDHA to have something permanently as a back-up.

Thanks!

wc