[at-l] 9/11/01

Pat krozby at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 11 21:16:19 CDT 2008

I didnt write an actual journal so a lot of what Im writing is from memory. I carried Wingfoot's handbook, southbound edition, and simply marked the date next to the mileage wherever I wound up. I can remember pretty much who was around and what I did from that info.

I left the Leroy Smith shelter around my usual 7:30 and came to a road around 10'ish. I looked to my right and there was some congestion and some horns blowing. I crossed the road and continued up the trail, some guy was coming down the trail, I said hello and he said nothing, just brushed by me. I continued on the trail through the devastation by Palmerton for about the next 3 hours or so. When I got to Lehigh Gap I headed to Palmerton, my stomach was growling. I stuck my thumb out while walking and never did get a ride. Anyway the first place I came to in Palmerton was a hot dog shop, so I stopped to indulge. It was a small shop there were 2 older folks sitting in the front by a big window and a waitress. I ordered 3 or 4 chilli dogs and was waiting making small talk with the waitress there was a little TV going on the counter but I wasnt at a good angle to see it. I started eating and was chatting to the waitress and she says You dont know do you. I sez I dont know what. Ya know I didnt know.Then she told me about the planes flying into the Towers and them colapsing and all. Went down the street to the Jailhouse, Courthouse, whatever it is, got a shower the little care baggie and set up for the night. Decided to hit the library and bumped into The Georgia Outlaws, Shameless Shamus and Mad Basque coming to town, I showed them the Courthouse and stuff. We all went out to a bar later and watched everything on the news. They had found out on the trail somhow.

Pat