[at-l] Ten years ago today

Charles Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:09:17 CDT 2008

Hi Gang,
               Ten years ago today I set out on another section hike,
9/12/98 - 9/25/98 201.6 miles Bennington VT 9 to Franconia Notch NH .
Mrs G  picked me up at the Albany airport and dropped me at the VT-9
trail head. This would be my first time walking this section. I went a
couple of miles and set up my tent for the night. It really tires me out
to fly, especially my arms.
    In 2006 my third time at the VT-9 trail head  I finally went into
the town of Bennington. I borrowed a bicycle from the outfitter and rode
it to Walmart or Kmart and bought a fleece jacket $15. cause it was
getting colder each day. I stayed with some old hippies that sometimes
put up hikers. When I got to Front Royal VA I bought another $10. jacket
at Kmart to add another layer. I came off the trail at the Tye River
just before xmas.
    One year earlier (97) I had walked from Great Barrington to VT-9.
That was the great Greyhound lost my pack episode that Beau Bushor
rescued me from. In Hanover at the Gathering we saw the northern lights
from the camping field.
    The following year by 9-12-99 I was a couple of days north of
Stratton, ME heading to my first completed section hike of the AT. On
September 24th Cobweb, Blisterbutt and I summited Katahdin. Pittsburgh
gave us a ride into Millinocket. I stayed at Don Cogswell's place and
went to End of Trail Fest. Earl showed his 1948 slide show there and we
all ate a bunch of food.

chase