[at-l] moor

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sat Sep 13 08:19:06 CDT 2008

Here I am again...doing the same thing I was doing last time I was here.
And, I see you haven't changed much, either. Why do we do this to each
other? Why can't we just let go and move on?  We know it'd be the
best...the best for everybody. I know, I know....

Whoa.... where did that come from?

Well, I've finally put a picture of Pokey, Earl and Patch on my site.
Here is the location, cyberly, of it:
Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/333.jpg

Ten years ago today, things changed a good deal...and, for the
gooder...for my hike. We left the DOC-filled Beaver Brook Shelter and
headed up Moosilauke (which, I believe is Chickpaw for "mountain with
rocks scattered about the open top"). While there, someone took this
picture: Felixhikes.tripod.com/AT/moose.jpg and I later did a poor scan
job and then uploaded it.  None-the-less... that picture was taken ten
years ago this late-morning. It was breezy and chilly that morning. And,
as you can see (by looking at the picture), beautiful (other than the
part of the photo that is me, of course). When I think about sitting
there amongst the rocks that morning, I know why I hike. And, more
specifically, why I long-distance hike. Sitting on top of a huge, open
mountain, wind in your face, sky and sun all around, crisp clean air
biting just a bit, good friends to experience it with...and, at those
moments, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  To sit on a rock, looking into the cold
wind as the sun warms your face, and thinking, "This ain't too bad."
That's it.

I digress. I pay taxes.  We sat there, (and, I forget off-hand who 'we'
is...Me, stoat, pokey, patch and maybe soyboy...with some northbounders,
I believe) taking it all in. Some northbounders approached and one of
them asked the e'er-familiar "Does anybody know Felix?" question.  I
did...so, I told him so.  He informed me that Kay K. Harvey was waiting
for us at Jeffers Brook Shelter. Cake was going to join us, and, more or
less, take over our hike for about 3 weeks.  So, we saddled up and
headed down Moosilauke...excited to see our old friend.  And, Cake, too.

Once we were done hugging and eating snacks at Jeffers Brook, we pushed
on. We spent Cake's first night with us at Dizzy B's, on Atwell Hill
Road...which is now known, for some reason, as Cape Moonshine Road. We
slept in the now-gone house there...which I hated. Had an enjoyable
evening around the campfire, though.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98