[at-l] Sept. 13, 1998 - N. Woodstock stealth camp

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 09:37:02 CDT 2008

Sunday, 9/13/98

"Three easy rides to travel the 55 road miles back to N. Woodstock for my
package. Since it contains meds I can't just push it up the trail. I'll be at
the PO first thing in the morning then back to Hanover. The first ride was from
an older couple, and they went 5 miles out of their way to get me to Orford. A
pharmaceutical supply woman from NJ got me to Wentworth, again she went out of
her way for this. And then a guy named "Dancer" from VT brought me the rest of
the way. He's not a hiker but a Morris Dancer, which we talked about. I let him
know about Applewood Farm in Warren/Glencliff. He sounded interested in the
commune.

Drinks and a great meal at the Frog Café with Shelter Monkey and P.O.D. I'm a
bit anxious about the whereabouts of TN Tom and Jukebox, there's no sign of them
here. Road Hazard is taking a rest day in Hanover today so I'll be a day behind
him when he leaves Hanover. Today's been a fun adventure coming all the way back
here; by far  the most complex hitch I've had to do on the trail. The waits by
the side of the road were long at times, and of course I was worried about being
stranded too far from the AT when night approaches. But I started early with
plenty of daylight and since I carried my entire pack I could always stealth
camp along the road if necessary. Having a sign for each major stretch probably
helped a lot.

Stealth camping tonight on the little island in the river across from the
Cascade Lodge."

I wish the Frog Café was still in N. Woodstock, I miss that one. I guess I was
confused about Felix's whereabouts on 9/12. Since he reached Beaver Brook
shelter last night he and I were separated by 51 miles as of yesterday, and by
only about 35 miles as of tonight. He's closing in! --RD