[at-l] Fall Foliage

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Sat Sep 20 12:12:02 CDT 2008

Local weather forecasters are claiming this will be a banner year for
Fall Colors in New Hampshire (probably all of New England).  We have
had an unusual amount of rain this summer.  The last storm dropped
over 5 inches of rain in 3 hours.  The lake was several inches above
normal,  Our piers were underwater or floating away.   Because of all
this rain the trees are very healthy and full of nutrients.  From the
White Mountains northward the peak color should occur between
September 25 to October 5.  The middle of the state should peak from
Oct 1 to October 12.  The rest of the state will follow to the middle
of the month.  Of course it will take a couple more weeks after peak
before the leaves turn brown and fall to the ground.  {That's when I
have a couple weeks of leaf cleanup to perform.)  When I thru hiked
in 2004, I reached the Whites after the second week in September.
People hiking at that time got a spectacular feast of fall colors.
I'm hoping to get out and do a few miles during this season.  But,
much of my time will be spent tending my wife who is about to have
her second thumb joint replacement surgery.  Last October she had
knee replacement.   Then in June she had her left thumb operated on.
It is suppose to take 4 months to recover but Sue tends to heal
quickly.  She was opening jars after 2 months.

I guess I've rambled.  Some of it is hiker AT related.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman