[at-l] ATC and Regulations

zanzi zoi opt4it at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:16:07 CDT 2008

Hi All,

It is with sadness that I am compelled to share the following news
with you regarding the Appalachain Trail Conservancy. The article can
be accessed at http://xtra.ops4it.com/wprod/pages/atc-and-goat.php.

I have also attached the text below for those without web access.

Please support and contribute positively where possible.

Thanks & enjoy what you do!

@Bootstrap

Shepherd, Al-i-baba and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Disclaimer
I am @Bootstrap, the following article is my opinion. Names and places
are used in context to a degree as accurate as words can allow. This
message starts with a introduction and ends with a summary of my
weekend long experience and thoughts on the ATC-Goat matter.

Introduction
After hearing the hilarious and funny story of a hiker that is hiking
with a goat, I looked forward and was exalted,  to eventually meet the
two. I was joyfully entertained and positively affected by this event.
Hearing his story of hiking six months bartering for existence and
being motivated by other people he meets to write a book ( a radio
talk-show host included). He shared his intent to donate any revenue
generated from sales of the book or other donations to the ATC and to
sponsor other hikers to thru-hike the Appalachian trail.

And then things changed, ... for the worse.

A dude came up to me with intentional authority after exiting from a
ATC pickup van, asking if al-i-baba is my goat. Thinking back I should
have replied in the affirmative and give the person on the other end
of the line a piece of my mind. Unfortunately that did not happen and
I directed the bearer of unnecessary news to the owner of the goat.
And opted to air my view utilizing the internet for this purpose.

ATC head ranger notified shepherd that his goat is not allowed on the trail.
This came as a shock and disappointment to me, a loving animal that
puts a smile on everyones face that I met and spoke with in this
regard. It is unusual, strange and therefore incredibly funny. It
results in smiles , chuckles, giggles and contributes to hikers
journeys in the most positive entertaining way.

The Reasoning
Bob the owner of the cellphone, and snitch in my mind, argued that its
against regulations. No proof, written or otherwise printed, posted or
in soft form, were presented or referred to in support of his
viewpoint. The verbal discussion were based on the following
irrational reasoning.

Only foot travel
This argument is also relevant to dogs, given the interpretation that
its  intent is understood as 'only human travel by own feet', dogs
should not be allowed on the trail either.

Argument against dogs on the trail
Dogs can carry rabies, as preventative measures they should be tested
on a regular interval and papers presented at most disruptive
locations a frequencies to decrease the danger of a hiker being
bitten.  Mouth guards should be worn by dogs at all times. Dog poop
should be carried out. Dogs may not carry packs, since this would
classify them as pack animals that are not allowed on the trail. These
risks are not relevant to goats. Dog owners therefore may consider
goats as hiking partners instead of bonding with K-9's, as illogical
as it may sound!

Pack animals
The goat carries a pack, so to does dogs. This regulation refers to
mules and horses. A goat by latin species classification is not a
mule, neither a horse. Uneducated ATC Bob needs some training in this
regard, before he makes a fool of himself like this again.

A Fine and jail term
Apparently according to the head ranger, shepherd can be fined for
walking the trail with a goat, jail time may be served. What judge in
the name of God would send a man to jail for walking on a trail with a
goat? What sensible God fearing man would intentionally put actions in
place to result in such a severe punishment? Apparently none other
than ATC.

A complaint from 'someone'
Someone phoned the ranger an complained that the goat on the trail is
unnatural. I do believe that anyone in their right mind would
understand that in the ecosystem of the trail the most unnatural
element in the woods are hikers and dogs. Someone who interprets and
perceives a goat to be unnatural in a trail habitat is in the wrong
place, uneducated, or needs more exposure to elements out of his/her
comfort zone.

Church property and sunday
What angers me the most is ATC bob's blatant disregard for the
sabbath, to come and enforce non-existing trail regulations away from
the trail, on church 'holy' property on a sunday above all is
positively evil. I do believe that God will smite thee (bob) with the
fury of a thousand demons that has been expelled from hell due to bad
behavior.

Positive influence
The knowledge of the guy with the goat is well-known amongst the
hikers. All with funny stories and packed with amusement, all in all
no complaints. It decidedly made my day and journey more exiting.
Feedback about the good influence that he and his goat has had on
travelers meeting him is astounding to say the least.

ATC Join the Journey
Bob from the ATC as in a matter of moments ignored what ATC stands
for, as well as the motto painted on the side of their van ' join the
journey' and is arguably the person responsible for blowing the horn
when he saw the animal. He together with the head ranger destroyed
shepherds journey. Worthless mindless idiotic homosapiens in my mind.

Absence of appropriate signs
Nowhere were signs posted that clearly prohibits goats from the trail.

Spreading of seeds
A goat defecate what it eats in one day, this is in less than 20 miles
from the original location of consumption. While other species of
plant relies on birds and animals to spread its seeds over greater
distances for its survival. Prevention and control of locale specific
plant species to spread in this natural fashion would necessitate the
destruction of many a animal a bird species. This is logically unwise
to even attempt to intervene in this facet of ecosystem and therefore
a superfluous argument.

Damage to trail
The impact of a goat boils down to its droppings that are similar to
that of a rabbit and its hoofs that are similar to that of deer. Yet
the head ranger cannot phantom this simplistic correlation. He should
resign, thereafter kill himself and be awarded a darwin award!
The 80/20 pareto principle clearly indicate that conservancy effort
should be concentrated on the 20 percent of factors that causes 80
percent of damage to the trail.
This 20 percent is arguably hikers boots and poles and not a single
goat. But then again what does stupid people know?

Conclusion
No legislation or regulation was found or referred to in support of
their judgement, therefore it is seen as unjust and severe an totally
unnecessary. ATC should grant Shepard and Al-i-baba immediate
permission to continue their journey to fill other hikers hearts with
joy and thereby alleviate their experience of the Appalachian trail.

Summary
I am VERY disappointed in the ATC, and this article serves as a
written statement of this fact and their incompetence. My perception
of their ability to reason has been permanently altered. Their ability
to manage sensibly has been utterly destroyed. Bob's ignorance of
Sunday as a religious day, will perhaps be dealt with by God himself.
As a visitor to the USA I now have more reason to belief that
international  opinion is relevant, having experienced this ridiculous
mindset.

Links
YouTube - Bob's viewpoint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRZNNTg5MOI
YouTube - Shephard's viewpoint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP9yplm4jSk