[at-l] email to a friend: POLITICS: sorry for injecting it on this list, but I insist

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 19:59:42 CDT 2008

[privacy waived]

I'm tired . . .

Reading American presidential politics is making me tired: so many lies from
all the "leaders" in BOTH parties . . .

The two (or sometimes three) party system we have derives from the
"adversarial" legal system we have, the idea that the two sides will
"zealously" represent their client's position and the "truth" will "come
out" from the dispute.

You know this "dialectic" from Marx, who got it from Hegel, a German
philosopher.

[Actually, per Hegel, a "synthesis" results, not the "truth" -- a good
distinction to remember -- but what derives when a pro se litigant appears
and, without "knowledge" of the law, tries to represent him or herself? - -
- we are ALL pro se in the court of life!]

The problem is that *both* sides eventually learn to "game" the "system" . .
. lies and sophistry and rhetoric result from this conception of human
affairs . . .

IMHO, one "authority" is worse than two, and that's worse than three, which
is worse than four, . . . and so on ad infinitum . . .
The history of Italy's politics in a multipolar electorate tells us what to
expect when we go to five and beyond . . .

And the last thing I want to see is a gang of four or five or six or more
people ruling over the rest of us . . .

I'll call you tomorrow about taking a walk . . .

[Can we go for a hike? on the AT?]

[[damn, I'm good at making this apropo!]]