[at-l] Feet hurt

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 13:56:06 CDT 2008

Hi Amy,

I do have a footwear fitting page on my web site at:

http://levee.hack.net/m_factor/footfit.html

Unfortunately, since the web site got moved to the levee.hack.net server, I
haven't been able to make any updates to it.  I haven't been able to get in
touch with Ryan to find out how I can make updates to the new location.
(Ryan, Are you out there?  My old friends server password doesn't work.)
But, all the pages are there if you're willing to type the URL by hand.

Anyway...  That page also a link to a site which describes a number of
different lacing techniques which can also help with shoe fitting.

Also, the fitting aids that you might want to try include "tongue
depressors" which go between the laces and the tongue of your shoe.  They
help hold your feet back.  "Five irons" which go under your insole may also
help if you need to take up some of the volume inside the shoe.  Many shoe
stores have no idea what these devices are but if you can find someone who
does know, they're probably know more about fitting shoes than others.  If
you talk with someone in a shoe department who thinks five irons have
something to do with golf, find someone else to ask.  :-)

You also mentioned that it may take 11 days before you start having problems
with blisters and foot pain.  For blisters, I would definitely try different
socks.  Also, pay attention to the weather.  For example, if I'm wearing the
right socks, I only get blisters in hot weather.  It can be day one or day
30.  My feet are fine in cooler weather.

For more general foot pain, if it takes that many days to kick in, it may be
the shoes but it may also be your physiology and the mechanics of how you
move.  Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) take time to build up.  You may
have the right shoes but just need to figure out hwo to make them work.
Sleep with your feet slightly elevated.  Take breaks with your feet
elevated.  Walk shorter days and build them up more slowly.  Don't forget
that you'll be building muscle in your feet and your feet will take up more
volume in your shoes.  You may have to loosen your laces after a while.

One more thing...  Lightweight shoes only last about 500 miles, plus or
minus depending on you and the shoe.  Often, the midsole which you can't see
will go before the uppers or outer sole looks particularly worn.  If you've
been wearing shoes for a while without pain and then pain kicks in, try a
newer pair of shoes.  It could be that the shoe has worn out and you just
won't be able to tell by looking at them.

Best of luck,

Mara
Stitches, AT99