[at-l] goats as "pack animals"?

Art MacAilein macailein at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 17:59:37 CDT 2008

Well, I think they look cute carrying their packs. Like smart,
personable, little mules. I couldn't bring myself to eat one but goat
cheese is scrumptious.

They use them as pack animals out west where there aren't trails. They
don't carry a great deal of gear so the guides take a whole bunch of
them at a time. The goats walk in a line following each other, they eat
grass and such so they don't have to carry food, and their scent
allegedly masks that of the humans with them. They don't smell
threatening to wild animals so the tourists are more likely to see critters.

That's what the magazine said, anyway.

http://www.goatpacking.com/index.html - Wind River Pack Goats in Wyoming