[at-l] goats as "pack animals"?

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:14:37 CDT 2008

Goats are best used for food, milk, cheese, and their skins to hold water or
wine. using them as pack animals will diminish their value for these other,
more valuable, purposes, and in actual, cause ---> effect sequence, and
notwithstanding American innovations in their use as pack animals. This is a
good thing to remember if you need to raise goats for subsistence in the
coming decade. Whether goats make a good metaphor for securitized mortgages,
I cannot yet say; but I suspect the economics of goats in a subsistence
economy bear good lessons for the idiots on wall street and in washington .
. . Besides, I cannot help but think that MacKaye would have supported goats
on the AT, though I cannot quote him chapter and verse; I think he was in
favor of basket weaving.