[at-l] goats on the trail

Padraic Aine Currie patti.aine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:01:43 CDT 2008

I have read the various postings, especially the ones about goat packing and
the trail.
I have to say that I believe that many are simply letting their "ranes" get
the best of them.

I will stand up for the goat!

*Goats are browsers or foragers (not grazers), which means they prefer to
eat brush and weeds. They take a nibble here and there, leaving little sign
that they ever passed by. They survive extremely well on common backcountry
forage, which means little or no packed feed. Goats need 1-½% to 2% of their
body weight in feed/browse daily. This means that a 100-pound pack goat
needs about 2 pounds of feed/browse a day. *
**

*A goat or a couple goats will do just about as much damage as a single or
so deer. The only evidence that goats visited the area is an occasional hoof
print in the mud and a few pellets, which are similar to that of deer. Water
doesn't evoke any involuntary response as it does in Llamas in goats except
for thirst. *
* A pack goat is usually a gelded male, called a wether.  In the US, goats
used for packing are usually from one of the dairy breeds such as Alpine,
Toggenburg, Saanen, LaMancha, Oberhasli or a crossbreed of the
aforementioned breeds.*
**
*Goats are domesticated "herd" animals, they prefer to stay near their human
companions on the trail  or in camp much as dogs will without having to be
leashed or tethered.*
**
*A healthy, fit goat can carry up to 25% of its body weight and walk up
12-15 miles per day depending on its load weight, the terrain and the
animal's conditioning.*
**
*Of course, should we prohibit dogs from the trail?  Should we now demand
that they be always leashed, muzzled and kept at heel?  Should we become so
narrow focused, that we lose sight of why we trek the AT - it is of course,
A Journey of Discovery! - of the mind, body and spirit.  Should humans be
reclassified as pack animals?*

I know that this will stimulate further outcries, but that is what this
forum is for - discussion of topics that we have passion for...

Luck!
Pennsy Pat