[at-l] Pinhoti Trail experience?

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:03:31 CDT 2009

I did 55 miles of the trail in 2005 as part of a longer road trip.
You can read the Pinhoti portion of my journal starting at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/roadtrip05.html#0407

If you´re planning on going this year, go now or go in the fall.  I
wouldn´t want to do the Pinhoti in the summer as it would be extremely
hot.  (Hmm, just noticed I started my section on April 7.)

Do some research before you go.  When I went, there had just been
major damage along the southern portion of the trail with a lot of
trees down for long segments of the trail.  I opted for doing segments
along the section north of Cheaha.  I planned a week long section but
bailed before the last two days when I got a forecast or rain.  The
five days I spent on the trail were well worth it and I would like to
return and do more of the trail at some point.

The Pinhoti Trail has been extended into Georgia and now connects with
the Benton MacKaye trail to form a continuous trail connecting to the
AT.  I´m not sure how ´complete´ the trail is but these web sites
should help with planning:

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/
http://georgiapinhoti.org/

Have fun out there,

Mara
Stitches, AT99 - from Puerto Natales, Patagonia, Chile

Visit my Travels and Trails web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor