[at-l] Positive changes in life...

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 13:50:30 CDT 2009

I'm going through some very positive changes in life.  There are still a couple of hurdles to get over, but overall.... Life is good... finally.

Monday I have to be in McMinn County Circuit Court at 9 am for an Order of Protection hearing.  Long story short... my ex husband was insisting that I go to his home to pick my girls up instead of a neutral location that we have done prior to as well as after court.  He was just being a bully making me do what he said to do and not what was in the best interest of the girls or even fair to me.  So, when he told me that I was not going to get to see my girls for visitation unless I went to his home to pick them up, I left a recording on his answering machine to the effect that I was going to off him and his new wife.... which I then went to see about getting an OP put on myself.  My theory being that then he could not make me go to his home to pick my girls up as legally I would not be able to.  I really wish you could have seen their faces when I stepped into the courthouse and requested such.  roflmao

Now, don't get me wrong... I am scared about all of this.  I know that the Judge is going to have to do something as a precedence can't be set to abuse a system that rightfully was set up to protect individuals (however, if someone really wants to hurt someone... an OP isn't going to stop them... am I right?!)  Nevertheless, I do think that it shows that this whole situation has become a comedy with the courtroom as the stage.  Monday we shall see just how far this farce will go and just how laughable it all becomes.  I will let you know how it goes.

hikermiker posted about folks being so unbelieveable about his running just for the fun of it.  "They could not understand that I ran to run."  I feel ya, Mike.  I'm not up to doing any races yet, but I can do 2 miles without feeling like a Peterbilt truck has run over me.  And, what first started out as a way to work out stress and deal with the asshole of an ex being a bully now has turned into something rather enjoyable.  Michael has made that possible.

When I started dating Michael, I had no idea just what it would be like to date a military man.  It is unbelieveable what positive changes he has brought into my life...and I love him dearly for each and every one of them.  He has been so encouraging and supportive in my desire to be better physically fit.  As part of his job is to administer the Army's physical fitness test to his men, it was no big deal to put me through my paces. However, I do think that he is quite a bit nicer and doesn't use orders/commands to get that last quarter mile or situp out of me as he does them.  lol

And, the bestest thing about him is that he loves to hike.  The Army landed him 20 years ago in Germany, and this is where his love of hiking took off.  He has several German beer mugs from that time period as keepsakes and has told me stories of hiking from hostel to hostel... basically hiking from drink to drink.

Hey... wait a minute!  I wonder if he is sure he wasn't talking about the AT.  /me giggles

At any rate... life happened to him as it did to me and hiking fell to the wayside.  Now that he and I are seeing each other it just seems natural to go rambling the mountains together.  It's as if we have hiked together all of our lives....natural...fluid...a working team.

If anyone is interested here is a link to our myspace where we're posting our pictures and soon trip reports.  Just click on the Photos link.  http://www.myspace.com/michael_and_shelly

We've already been on a few hikes together and are planning several more before he is deployed to Iraq at the end of the year.  Being that he lives on the doorstep of the GSMNP, we have a HUGE playground and many, many miles to explore together.

At the end of May I will be moving there so that we can be together as much as possible before his deployment.  I hope to have several issues resolved that have cropped up financially so that I can still attempt my thruhike of the AT next year.  Michael has so very encouraging in my plan for my hike.  I had not planned on getting into a serious relationship before my hike, but that isn't what has been given me.  However, he is adamant that even if his deployment were to be called off I should still hike no matter what.

He and I are also toying with the idea of section hiking the AT together during summer breaks after he returns from Iraq.  So, even if I do not get to go on a thruhike this year, then I will still get a chance to do big hunks of it at a time with him at my side.

Hopefully I will be able to finish my BS this fall and am looking into schools in that area to persue either a Masters in Eduation or at least certification to teach.  By being able to teach along with the number of days he receives off each year, we hope to knock out some major trails together over several summers.

Indeed there are some very positive changes in my life.  I am so excited about living life.... Life is so very good.

 Tenacious Tanasi