[at-l] algebra Re: Facts

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 09:20:42 CDT 2009

--- On Mon, 4/20/09, KGJ <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:

> I've got a buddy who likes to debate the "facts" of hiking
> and such.  He insists that facts are "good",
> and I say that facts take on
> no inherent value.  Is there an axiom in logic that
> bolsters my claim?

Remind your buddy that facts take time and money.

      FACTS = TIME * MONEY

Observe to him that, as he well knows, "time equals money."

      TIME = MONEY

Demonstrate for him that facts are therefore equivalent to (money)². [Anybody who has recently paid for college tuition is free to argue the exponent, but I digress...)
Therefore,

      FACTS = (MONEY)²

Now, it has long been held that "money is the root of all evil," or algebraically,

      MONEY = √EVIL

So it is patently obvious that

      FACTS = (MONEY)² = (√EVIL)²

And as the square of any square root is itself,

     (√EVIL)² = EVIL

therefore,

       FACTS = EVIL

Quad est demonstratum.