[at-l] algebra Re: Facts

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 21:59:05 CDT 2009

the equivocation arises from the word description vs the operational symbols
used in mathematics

"any square root" doesn't *necessarily* mean "√x" -- which refers to a
particular operation or procedure to obtain a number while also referring to
a particular number; "any square root" can also mean "any number": for
example, 8 qualifies as one of "any" of the possible square roots ["any
square root" the words literally say] -- the square root, in this instance,
of 64. Squared, eight is not itself, but rather, due to the operation or
procedure of squaring, it equals sixty-four. The equivocation arises because
words are not so precise as to convey whether the speaker means an operation
or an identity. Now, it's true that the square root of 64 equals eight and,
when squared, eight equals sixty four; but we cannot correctly write or say
"the square root of 64" *is* "eight" when we actually mean that a specific
operation designed to produce a peculiar and specific factor of 64 produces
a number equal to eight.

so much for mathematical facts described with words . . .

or, as George Santayana once correctly wrote: "Whenever I use the word *is*
I deeply misuse it."