[at-l] We're calling it ten...and that's final. Trip Report.

Rosalyn gadog430 at charter.net
Mon Apr 27 19:14:31 CDT 2009

I got an email on Saturday from a fellow hiker asking me if I wanted to go hiking Sunday. Well, yeah. Yeah. Super Yeah. I can't really say Yeah fast enough. When we leaving?

I got Apples and Clementines and Bananas for the hikers and we started off Sunday morning. Arrived in Dick's Creek Gap and there were about 4 or 5 thru-hikers there. Fruit anyone? In case you didn't know...hikers like food. I was so happy to give it to them. The more you take the less I have carry and give away on the trail.

Ok, we're in a gap. Cwap. That most likely means one thing. We're gonna climb immediately. Yeah...I was right. But I didn't think it was that bad on that climb north out of Dick's Creek Gap. It meanders. but then you hit a down section that goes straight down by a semi-waterfall. Great...we know what this means on the way back.

All the hikers that had been in the gap were waiting on the shuttle from Hiawassee, so we pretty much had the trail to ourselves. We saw one person by himself (not friendly and a bit weird we both concurred) and a group of three going home from the weekend (super nice but I'm out of fruit...lol).

I think Cowart Gap is actually one of the prettier gaps I have seen in my life. It's in the middle of a pine forest. Not the place to be in an ice storm, but pines are so pretty. Lush and green. The climb out the other side will kill you though. :)

We went as far in Plumorchard Shelter. Good water source and a nice shelter. Had lunch. Sat around for a while. When we were leaving we ran into two thrus on their way to the shelter. I was out of apples and clementines. Rats. And a minute or so later on the climb out of the gap we ran into one more thru that was thinking of pushing on to Bly Gap. We both encouraged him to try this shelter. I personally thought he looked a little done for the day.

That climb out of Plumorchard Gap is a bi***.

The trip back wasn't so bad. and the setting sun was very nice. On the way in we were able to pick out Brasstown Bald but didn't see it on the way back.

But here is the true confession part...these two experienced hikers should be somewhat ashamed of themselves. About half way thru the trip we were talking about the timing of getting back to the car and both of us had to admit that we didn't have a flashlight or a headlamp between us. I know...WTH? But we didn't. I talked with my normal hiking partner today and she said it had happened to her once. Well, it won't ever happen again. Well, I say that but what I really mean is that I will try not to make that mistake.

We were about 30 minutes from the car when the sun slipped behind the mountain and it was ok the rest of the way. I was a little freaked, but I tried not to let it show. I am not sure why. If I was in a shelter or a tent or camp I would be totally fine.

All in all it was a great day. We both debated the meaning of the sport of hiking. We decided that we aren't really sure what it is...can you honestly call it pleasure? We both came to the conclusion that pleasure was not applicable. But never to answer on what it actually is. I think it's either in your blood...or it isn't.

But some housecleaning items:
1. I did better on the climbs. Not where I want to be, but better.
2. Shelly...get your a** down here.
3. To my hiking partner from Sunday...I would NEVER leave you on the trail. Ask Shelly. No matter how freaked out I am by the dark (my mind playing games).
4. Headlamp. Not optional. I repeat...not optional.

It was a good day. As the saying goes...any day on the trail beats just about anything else.

Miz Dawg

Ps. Have anyone seen Longhaul? Where is that man?