[at-l] what i did today.

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 22:49:19 CDT 2009

On another topic the teenage dayhiker that was lost in the Whites has been
safely found and brought down from the mountains today. This was after spending
Sat, Sun and Mon night in the woods, lost & without overnight gear. He's got to
be very thankful that the hot weather hit during these last few days, starting
the day he started his hike. His mother said he "looked older". Being lost might
do that!

I was birding as well but didn't score as high as you Felix & Stoat.
Brown thrasher
Blue-gray gnatcatcher
Catbird
Towhee
Black-throated green warbler (heard)
Ovenbird
Blue-winged warbler
Yellow warbler
Pine warbler
Palm warbler
Yellow-rump (many, now in breeding plumage, they are a winter bird here in
places)
Black and white warbler (many)
Northern parula warbler
Common yellowthroat
Swamp sparrow
Blue Grosbeak (solitary female)
Blue-headed vireo
Warbling vireo
Meadowlark
Wilson's Snipe
Least bittern (heard)
The best bird of the day for rarity was the blue grosbeak. We're too far north
to expect to see them. The best for me personally was seeing the blue-winged
warbler again, it's only my second time. The catbirds and towhees just arrived
about 3 days ago and the gnatcatcher is at least 2 weeks early this year. They
have all come in on the tremendous heat wave that struck the area on Saturday
with winds from the south and west. Not a single flycatcher has been sighted yet
this year and the phoebes arrived only 2 weeks ago. Still no peewees here.

A report's come in about a yellow-throated warbler hanging out near Boston since
the weekend. I might go chase after that one in the morning. It's unusual enough
so it's not even listed on the Massachusetts bird list but it's seen about once
a year somewhere in the state. It would be a new life-bird for me.

--rockdancer