[at-l] what i did today.

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Wed Apr 29 14:56:04 CDT 2009

Actually it was the hot weather that was responsible for him being in
the fix for which he found himself.  He was planning on hiking 17
miles of trail most of which was on the AT but because of the hot
weather a great deal of snow melt caused uncrossable streams.  He
tried to take short cuts/long cuts around these streams but got
himself into even worse condition.  What was suppose to be a one day
hike ran into the fourth day  when rescuers spotted him about 45
minutes from reaching the summit.  He was walking in a very
methodical but slow pace toward the weather observation station.
Scott Mason, a recently inducted eagle scout, would have made it to
the summit but rescuers with a snow cat brought him down the auto
road before he could make it.  None of the many articles that I have
read have mentioned his specific hiking plan.  His father said on a
local tv broadcast that he was hiking a part of the AT.  So what
might that be if he started at Pinkham Notch?    Could it have been
along the AT up past Osgood Campsite over Madison?  I know there
would have been very fast a full streams in that area since I have
experienced some of the horrendous flooding that occurs in that area.
Also, the last article I read mention him coming out of the Great
Gulf.  My guess is he was to return down Tuckerman Ravine or the
winter Lion Head trail.  Maybe he was going up Nelson's Craig but
that would not have given him much of the AT to hike.  He is
definitely a survivor.  He knows a lot about hiking and camping but
made a mistake in judgement.  Of course none of us have ever done
that.

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman