[at-l] Psychopathology of Hiking

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 16:18:44 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, David Addleton <dfaddleton at gmail.com> wrote:

> "### Most people consider hiking to be a
> form of "recreation" that borders on psychopathology."
>
> Under which rubric would you place hiking qua pathology?

### As in much of noodular medicine (medicine of the noodle; not to be confused with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, "Ramen!"), specifics are not necessary in order to make a finding of significant pathology. The patient presents with pulse ("Check!"), oxygen saturation/lung function ranging from 80% ("I'm a bricklayer, Jim! I'm not a doctor!") to 100%, and having skin warm to the touch ("Touche!"). The next level of clinical presentation involves "that thousand yard stare" ("Roger!"), and an obsessive ability to scout for available water and dry sleeping space in light commercial/office construction buildings. ("What's he doing???" Ohhh, that's just his thing..."). An unease around persons perceived as "Sponge-worthy", as high in fashion, in maintenance, or in drama, or highly "Linked-in" is prevalent. A preference for light cotton in dry weather, or an obsessive need for "technical clothing" in periods of inclement weather, are both scene as positive
 secondary indicators. Finally, consumption of pizza such that crusts are routinely consumed, with loud and joyful mastication, is a common, and indeed robust, tertiary indicator.

So with such broad brushs to "sure identification" of the pathology in question, then factors such as self-punishment, self-deprivation, self-denial, obsessive-compulsive attention to water, food-security, heliocentrism (generalized from the OCD need to know where the sun will rise), and paint color ("No blue blazing! No blue blazing!") succeed in providing robust findings of mal-adjustment, dissociative disorders, or pure schizophrenia (as when the RV-renting reprobate yells "I hiked from The South all the way north when yallins wuz not born yet"!

Clinical data, findings, and addresses of cute RNs in your county provided upon request.

I gotta go finish my patio before the rain arrives.

Happy birthday, Jerry.
FSM Rules!
"Arrrrr!