[at-l] Subject: 7 years ago

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 15:44:42 CDT 2009

--- On Thu, 8/13/09, Mark Hudson <mvhudson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think I'm going to lack for water this year : )
### What's that you say, Skeeterbait? {nods knowingly) Ohhhh.

> Sloeness, just so you don't think I'm slacking off
> in my old age...
> First stop is the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson.. I wonder
> if they still let hikers camp out back?
### They MUST. Burger, Huge thing 'o blistering fries, a pitcher of cold frothiness, and then a short stagger out under the trees, to lay sheltered from the early sunrise by mountain and tree. "Priceless."

> Next to the HydeAway Inn with restaurant and bar.
### That's twice I've had to mutter, "Don't know it." Was that the place also in Johnson, away up the hill, NE of the road crossing?

> Then the Inn at Long Trail
### You mean the Long Trail Inn? (I refuse to mutter any name with "at" in it.)

> Manchester Center (There must be a bar there somewhere!)
### They have EMS -- that's close. I'll tell you, there's great pizza near Mrs. Gorp's hometown in Wallingford, and the helpful/kind volunteer fire department is right across the street, and at the near/appropriate pass (just north of White Rocks), on the south side, is a picnic area that seemed to do well for stealthy camping. The boys and I were about to do that one evening when when some dayhikers came down, and the boys went right up to them and yogied bigtime. Result was a trip to Rutland for showers and laundry and homebrewing party. "Stop me!"

### Oh yeah! Right across the road (VT 140 north side) is another great stealth spot -- an abandoned highway pull-off -- where we first saw signs of "Hungry Howie & The New Sushi" scratched into the perfect dirt. Hungry Howie, of course, would be waiting for us on our first trail-earned visit to the Long Trail Inn, and would introduce us to Philosophy, who was later to tell Our Gal LiteShü to "Take a hike!"...... And thus, the circle is complete. *Eight* years ago, 2001.

manymoonsagotoe