[at-l] planning for a thruhike

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Wed Aug 19 09:34:50 CDT 2009

I was rereading Frank and Victoria Logue's thruhike planning guide
last night.  It was written around 1990.  Wow, things have changed in
the last 20 years.

Things I noticed:  Overmountain Shelter was described as "Yellow
Mountain Shelter".

They didn't mention alcohol stoves at all in the stove section.

They recommended you carry "no more than 4 pounds of tent per person".

External frame packs were still the more common ones.  With all the
gear they were carrying, our super lightweight frameless or minimally
framed packs wouldn't even have been an option if they were available.

Food was still the same though.  :)