[at-l] Trail magic 8/19-8/23 (repost)

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 25 14:57:29 CDT 2009

(Sorry if this is a duplication, I wasn't sure at this end if the message was
posted to at-l. --RD)
The highlight of the trip was the intense T-storm and rain that went through the
Whites on Friday afternoon. In southern NH near Mt. Monadnock they are still
recovering from flooding, where they received 5 inches of rain in 4 hours. In
the mountains it was intense wind, the sky dumped water and now there are new
gullies about 6 inches deep along the AT where I do trail magic, where the tar
spur road meets RT. 302. The summit of Washington got 2.5 inches of rain. A
tornado touched down at Paris ME, about 40 miles away! Yikes! One tree came down
about 150 feet from the trailhead, some roads were hazardous for driving with
downed limbs & debris.
The bulk of the hikers is still moving north through the Whites, although the
southbounders have now passed the area. Annie was the only SoBo hiker, doing
well on the trail after 30 days. All the northbounders who met her were
impressed with her attitude!
The names, pretty much as I met them starting on Thursday morning 8/20:
Tarzan
UCOC
Wing It
Don't Panic
Wobbler
Early Bear
Lil' Dipper
Hammock
Annie (SoBo)
Hazard
Croc Star
Spoon
Ink
Miles
Dumbass
Bigfoot
Solar System
Naneek
Sonny & Iron Mike
Otter
Jellyfish
Wispee
Rock Lobster
Wiz Kid
Gritty McDuff
Raddle Phoot
Space Cowboy
Brave Little Toaster & Hot Dog (his terrier)
Frank N. Stein
WV Strings
Momma LLama & Juice
Nature
Bronco
Wingo
Knickers
Hobbit & Jumar (dog)
Yukon
Gritz
Slagline
Featherfoot
So about 45 hikers (probably more as it was a bit hectic at times). I had to
laugh at one trailname "Brave Little Toaster", evidently it comes from a
children's book. Thanks go out to Bear Bag & Sweet Pee (AT 2000) who supported
this round of trail magic. --RockDancer