[at-l] Hat update

rockdancer97 at comcast.net rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 08:42:10 CST 2009

(Wench, Tenacious Tanasi & Rosalind Suit - I never received sizes from you so I haven't made hats. Last chance for this year!)

Last Monday a box of hats was sent to Kincora. Bob should, by now have 12 hats to disperse among the needy and worthy hikers that will pass his place heading southbound to Springer.

This morning I'm finishing up the 13 commission hats that you at-l folks have requested. If there are any last minute requests please let me know. I hope to return one of the machines to the owner in the next few days.

A mini-rant:
This year's project was made a little more difficult by lack of access to the industrial machines I've used in the past. I now have a very nice Viking that can do a lot but a serger is essential for these hats. The one I borrowed this year was a problem. Making 25 hats required threading the damn beast 100 - 200 times, and there are 4 threads to check! I found, in the end, that the home machines of this type are meant to be driven very slowly, think .5 to 1 mph, instead of 10 mph. Still there were adjustments to make: bent needles, damaged cutter blade and poor feed dogs to deal with... The owner's going to be very happy to receive back a well tuned machine, when I borrowed it the lady said "I don't think it works".

Arthur Gaudet
RockDancer
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."