[at-l] Smokies sobo Dec 09 or Jan 08

Hank & Renee Swicegood hankrenee at charter.net
Tue Dec 8 14:16:30 CST 2009

First, the AT goes under I-40 at Waterville Rd - Exit 451.

Second, David this news store explains why the route from NC is so
FUBARed right now:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11379696

Third:  To drive from Fontana to Davenport Gap on the TN side:  Go NC 28
toward Atlanta to US 129 toward Maryville to Foothills Parkway to US 321
toward Maryville to US 411 toward Sevierville to TN 238 to TN 66 toward
I-40 toward Asheville.  DOT will force you to exit at Waterville Road -
exit 451.  To get to Standing Bear, turn left and go under the
interstate to a gravel road - Standing Bear is about .75 miles out this
road.

The above route is mostly on two-lane state highways.  A longer, but
faster route:  NC 28 to US 129 to Highway 411 / 129 to Highway 129
)toward airport and Knoxville) to I-40 ( not I-140 !!! ) to exit 451

No matter which way you go, you have to drive about 30 miles of curvy
mountain road from Fontana.  Motorcyclists call this stretch The
Hellbender 28 and The Tail of the Dragon.  Google those for descriptions.

Hope this helps.

Renee (She-Dino of the Frolicking Dinosaurs)