[at-l] Smokies sobo Dec 09 or Jan 08

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 07:52:38 CST 2009

I once rode through the Adirondacks on curvy roads in winter at 70mph with a
guy who took all curves on the inside whether he could see who was coming
the other way or not. We lucked out and no one was coming the other way but
a short time later he hit a tree doing that. It was the car's fault of
course. He was running a spare tire that didn't stick to the road the way it
was supposed to.

Another time I rode in similar circumstances except that wasn't winter and
the driver turned to me and said "By the way. I have a medicated heart
condition. If anything happens while we're hiking, I have a spare car key on
the string around my neck that you can use to get home".

The third time, with yet another driver, we flew over a pass at 75 only to
encounter a batch of rescue vehicles, police & volunteers parked along and
in the road who had come to aid a rock climber who fell (to his death) and
we narrowly avoided plowing down some rescue workers who were crossing the
road.

Nothing personal but remind me not to ride with you should the prospect ever
come up. I don't need the adrenaline and I feel like I've pushed my luck as
far as I should.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard