[at-l] hike prep

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 09:06:12 CST 2009

Hey everyone!  As you know slowly but surely I'm going through gear
decisions and trying to figure out what I can use and what I need to
replace.  The process is moving forward and I appreciate all your insights.
Hey!  Has anyone used a GoLite Quest backpack?  It's an '09 closeout at REI,
not sure if this has a men's version or is women's only.

I also started my conditioning last week.  For now I'm trying to get out on
8+ mile hikes 3 days a week, and a couple of days a week on the treadmill as
well.  My plan is to up the mileage and the time out of the house after New
Years.

Anyway, I was hiking Monday and I was thinking about conditioning and the
times that people have pointed out to me that, once in physical shape, an AT
thru hike is a head game.

I believe that good gear can HELP me get to Katahdin but I fully understand
that no gear in the world is going to do it for me.
I believe even more strongly that being in the best condition I can possibly
be in before I start will have a HUGE impact on me getting to Katahdin.

So my question.  When people talk about the mental aspect, what exactly are
they saying?  Stick to it ness?  Refusal to quit?  Optimistic attitude? And
so on.  I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on what mental skills it takes
to get to Katahdin.   And this may be a silly thought, but if you have any
ideas on how to DEVELOP those pertinent mental skills I'd like to hear that
too.  Conditioning for the brain?  Yep.

I set the date.  3/15/10.  I'm walking to Maine. I appreciate your help.
CodyTheTortoise