[at-l] I'm jealous

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 09:46:07 CST 2009

I can confirm that Rachel and Lou are NOT your average 70-year-olds.  Every winter they lead a series of winter day hikes that average about 10-12 miles/day.  They outwork 40-year-olds on work hikes.  They lead and organize both hikes and trailwork.  They spend every summer on the road in a motor home, often in Alaska, fishing.  For her 60th birthday, Rachel did 60 laps across Wekiva spings (about the length of an Olympic pool), canoed 60 miles (not in one day), backpacked 60 miles (not in one day), and biked 60 miles.  She did somewhat less on her 70th.   In the last few years they re-traced the route of Lewis & Clark, canoeing the route when possible.  She had a doctorate in physical education and her lifelong mission has been to prove that keeping physically active keeps you healthy, limber, and more fit than those who are not physically active.  She had both knees replaced about 2 years ago and is back to leading those day hikes.

Joan