[at-l] hike prep

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Dec 9 10:43:59 CST 2009

Cody Girl wrote:

> So my question.  When people talk about the mental aspect, what
> exactly are they saying?  Stick to it ness?  Refusal to
> quit?  Optimistic attitude? And so on.  I'd love to hear all of your
> thoughts on what mental skills it takes to get to Katahdin.   And this
> may be a silly thought, but if you have any ideas on how to DEVELOP
> those pertinent mental skills I'd like to hear that too.  Conditioning
> for the brain?  Yep.

Try to 'catch' things before they get too bad. Especially physical
things. Tape stuff up right when they start hurting (rubs, etc). Keep a
'hotspot' from becoming a blister...then, a hole....then, too painful to
walk with.  Try to eliminate 'bad' things that are (more or less) in
your control. Then you can deal with dealing with those that aren't.
(Rain, cold, aches, exhaustion, hunger, heat, bugs, Kentuckians)

> I set the date.  3/15/10.  I'm walking to Maine. I appreciate your help.

Beware the hikes of March....