[at-l] Friday Deadline to Tuckerize me, please

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:49:11 CST 2009

Haven't winter hiked in a long time . . . .

right now,

16.5 lbs back pack weight for everything EXCEPT

(1) food, stove, knife
(2) water
(3) hygiene + first aid
(4) camera + batteries
(5) hiking poles and hiking clothes and boots
(6) diary and pen + book to read
(7) cell phone

Aiming for 25 - 30 lbs with the above

Tell me what i should leave behind to reduce that 16.5 lbs even further:

I have in and on my back pack right now and [What I'm planning to
remove is in brackets]

-Sea to Summit eVac dry sac containing:
- Polarmax 100% polyester longjohns, top and bottom, in [zip loc]
- 1 pr Red Head sox
- 1 pr underarmour underwear
- 1 pr trousers, ex officio, 100% nylon
- 1 shirt, ex officio, 85% nylon 15% polyester
- Sleeping bag: REI Mojave 15F rated 600 fill goose down
4 lbs

-Backpack: REI Quick Ultra Lite w/
[ - rt hip belt pocket contains fishing license, line and tackle and
matches in zip loc]
- lt hip belt pocket contains half used, old chapstick
- Petzl ultralite headlamp [in case attached to hip belt]
- Large Gregory rain cover in stuff sack [may replace this with a
smaller rain cover or garbage bag]
- 26 tabs to purify water
- REI compas and thermometer zipper pull
[ - 4 tiny beener clips]
- shock cord attached to back pack pack
- 4 tent stakes
6.5 lbs

- Emergency shelter: MSR Hubba Hubba footprint & mylar reflective
emergency blanket [Staying in shelters is required in the GSMNP on the
AT, so why carry any shelter at all, except for emergency?]
- Sleeping bag liner (100% poly, $9, from "Academy" store I found in Macon)
- Bear bag and tarp rigging cord [I can get rid of some of this]
- Pacific Outdoor Ether compact air mattress
- Snow Peak titanium mug w/ lid
- Krama - a piece of 100% cotton cloth from Cambodia
- 3 pr Grabber Chem toe warmers for emergency
[ - candle lantern w laynard and 5 tea candles] (gives nice
psychological boost and saves batteries for long dark winter nights)
- 2 large cans of fuel for pocket rocket
- 1 two liter plastic platypus bottle (I need to think through, again,
water storage etc)
[ - 1 one liter plastic platypus bottle] (I need to think through,
again, water storage etc)
- 1 lexan spoon
- Hydration bladder 2.5 liter MSR (empty) (I need to think through,
again, water storage etc)
- Northface fleece hat "Gore Windstoper"
- Glove liner
- 1 pr REI convertible mittens/fingerless gloves
- fleece pull over
- REI goretex rain jacket w/ hood