[at-l] hike prep

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 22:30:44 CST 2009

Skeeter writ:  Hike prep for your brain. - Don't forget to pack your sense of humor... if you take yourself too seriously I think you're done for.

When my eldest daughter was 12 (Lawdy but can it be that this was going on 6 years ago now!!!) on the Spivey Gap to Erwin section, she did something that kinda caught me off guard.  You see it was drizzlin jes a tad when Miss Janet let us out at the trail head.  However, after we were about 3 miles in the bottom fell outta the sky.  We wuz mizerawble to say the least!  As we trudged along with her in the lead I began to notice that she was doin sumpin kinda funny..... she was going AROUND the mud puddles!

I stopped dead in the middle of the trail and watched this child o' mine skirtin around ankle deep puddles in the midst of the trail as we were winding our way along the ridge.... IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLESSET DOWNPOUR!!!

But, then I recalled all those times as she'd been a tiny thing that I'd gotten onto her to "Watch out for the mudholes and don't get your shoes wet!"

"Mandy!," yells I over the deluge hammering down through the branches of the trees overhead and pummeling onto the ground all about us.

"What, Momma?," she bellows back at me without looking up from her concentrated effort to tiptoe around yet another mudhole.

"What in the blue, bloody blazes are you doin, Girl?!"  I asked as I pointedly stomped through the murky brew toward her, spraying the muck and mire back toward the sky with a fury.

When that child looked up at me with her confoozled look and caught the gist of what I was ah askin as I marched directly down the middle of the mini-Amazon, she slowly began to grin.  I began to giggle.  She let into all out belly laughin.  Then side by side we splashed quite a ways up the trail gigglin the whole way.

I said all that to say this, Cody.  While you are out there hiking, don't forget to let your inner child out to play.  Remember the wonder of the feel of the rain as it washes the salty sweat from your brow and cools your forehead.  Remember to see the beauty of the temporary streams it creates.  Breathe deep the scents upon the wind of the woodlands.  Bring forth again that childish awe and wonderment of the outdoor world around you and absorb it to renew your soul.

Hiking is a lot of work.  It is hard on you mentally and physically and emotionally.  But, as with anything it is what you make of it.  You're out there for a reason (everyone has their own motivation toward it or away from it).  Capitolize upon that reason...it will help you work through those difficult times and enjoy the good times all the more better.
Tenacious Tanasi