[at-l] flexibility?

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:41:21 CST 2009

Hoping to be going the other direction in
January. Maybe not. Who knows.

After many years of winter hiking, I have
found three things to be especially helpful.

Anytime you stop for a break, put on above-
waist insulation and your rain jacket. Even if
it is just five minutes.

As soon as you get onto camp, put on all of
your warm stuff. You won't need that for all
night, assuming a good bag, but it really slows
down loss of hiking-earned heat.

Immediately after that, make something hot to
drink. Even if it's just water, it makes a huge
difference.

Turn out the drybag that you keep your
sleeping bag in and take your shoes into the
sleeping bag at night. That is a teddy bear
That you'll really appreciate in the morning.
Anything you bring into the bag to dry out or
keep warm seems to do better in or near the
footbox.

Over-dress upon leaving camp in A.M. You'll
be shucking in just a few, but it is the absolute
fastest way to warm up in the morning.

Get going immediately after you get up. Eat
something cold going down the trail. Sitting
and drinking coffee first thing gives you a
chance to lose the night's accumulated heat.
You'll appreciate it more 1-2 miles down the
trail when you're already warmed up.
Remember numero uno above.

When it is very cold, do your best not to sweat.
Unless it is near zero, you will be down to
shorts and t-shirt eventually. Sweat makes you
REALLY cold later. Sometimes to the point of
hypothermia.

There's more, but those are the most important
things I can remember right now.

Sorry, but that's more than three. Feel free to
give back any you don't like or already know.

Frank

--------------------
From: David Addleton

Off @ newfound gap. I get to go back
again to finish the GSMNP traverse.
Clyde, it was COLD and I have 2 learn
more about hiking -- I mean stopping
hiking and chilling w camp mates b4
sleeping -- in COLD. (I ENJOY hiking in COLD.)
Saw thru sobos Annie and Snags and an
unknown yoyo trying to catch them.
My first GSMNP trip w/o a bear sighting.
Hoar (sp?) frost is neat/ cool. Wind blown
frosting on trees is nearly pure H2O and
soothes thirst -- the same way ice chips
after surgery.
Met awesome mountaineer/fireman/disaster relief professional who started in GSMNP
winter months . . . learned tons from him,
and his brother . . . (they aren't interested
in an AT thru)
Going back to finish this thing . . . Newfound
2 Fontana any 1 want 2 join me?

Hua! Kafir! can at-l handle arabic script?