[at-l] HMOH Re: acid-spewing aliens.... Re: No regrets

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 19:42:35 CST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Tom McGinnis <sloetoe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 12/19/09, rcli4 at comcast.net <rcli4 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > And this folks is why I laugh everytime someone tries to sell
> > that Bullshit line HYOH.  It means, you aint havin fun
> > unless you have fun my way.
> >
> > Clyde
>
> ### "Bullshit" is right. Never been a subscriber to "HYOH", never could be.
> I've got a dollar that sez what a search of the AT-L archives for the first
> Hike My Own Hike post would find...
>
> ### Why would someone go through the trouble of posting second-rate advice?
> Why would someone invite it in the first place? We post because we think we
> have a better idea. (Hmmmm. Well, we *should* post with that in mind,
> anyway.)

It is HYOH if you mean it. OTOH if you're saying it but criticizing someone
else's hike...

There's a difference between advice and instruction. One is "here's an idea
you might try", the other is "DO IT THIS WAY".

I remember when I was a kid Toey. I used to spend time in the snow until I
was soaked to the skin. My skin was closer to my heart then and didn't get
cold as easily as it does now. Even when I was a middle aged hiker I had
times when I was post holing in the snow to my crotch while wearing shorts
and I remember those hikes fondly but that doesn't mean I want to repeat
them. At this point in my life if I find myself in that sort of situation I
take it as a sign that I planned poorly by not bringing my snowshoes. I'm
sure some here would insist that I was carrying to much weight and not
challenging my resourcefulness by going thus prepared to which I say HYOH
and I do mean it.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard