[at-l] No regrets

Lee Parker l.clayton.parker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 14:33:51 CST 2009

You assume that we were unprepared. Twelve inches of snow was not in the
forecast when we left, in fact, there was no snow in the forecast at all. It
was quite a shock to awaken at Mollies Ridge Shelter to all the white stuff.
Unlike hiking in the White's where you are prepared for snow even in July,
the southern Appalachian's are usually only subject to rain at that time of
the year, a few flurries at altitude maybe, but basically rain.

We were prepared for the forecasted weather conditions for the 4 days we
planned to be out. If it had been me alone, I would have continued. With
children, given the unexpected weather, bailing was the wisest choice.

Lee I Joe

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Tom McGinnis <sloetoe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'll say it -- I don't understand starting a hike unprepared, and
> then patting yourself on the back for the supposed wisdom of bailing. You
> shouldn't have been out there like that if you were truly unprepared, and if
> you *were* prepared, there are often great experience to be had by hanging
> out.
>
> Don't bring a cotton tent on a winter hike. (1977)
> Don't bring silnylon ponchos on a continental divide. (2007)
> Don't pack a high-fat diet where you expect to make miles. (2001)
> Don't climb a mountain after a debilitating fever. (1996)
> Don't get children ready first. (1998)
>

> teachyourselftoe

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I've just erased it."