[at-l] No regrets

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Mon Dec 21 06:38:32 CST 2009

I was a week behind you and climbing over Rocky Top and Thunderhead
Mountains during that storm.  Snow drifts across the trail were hip
deep.  Came across a ridge runner who asked where I was from.  When I
said New Hampshire he said Well it looks like you know what your are
doing.  It made for a very slow walk through the Smokies.  We were
planning to hike to Hot Springs but I put a call in to Sly and Cheryl
for a pickup in Davenport Gap because we had fallen behind our
available time.

>In 2003, 16" of snow at Groundhog Creek Shelter on March 31.  And
>another good snowstorm on April 10.  We just happened to be taking a
>zero or two in Erwin, TN for that one and just got to hike in the
>slush on the ground from there up and over Roan Mtn.  The snow
>fights were fun.  We became pretty adept at picking up a good bit of
>snow on our hiking poles and tossing at the back or head of the
>person in front, without missing a stride.  I think Hotdog and I
>even sat down for an hour or so and threw snowballs at a tree or
>something.  Good stuff.
>
>But, we took a zero in the shelter while the snow was coming down
>March 31... didn't know how bad it was going to get.  I did not want
>to hike farther UP in those conditions.  Forecast was for "flurries
>in the mountains."  Groundhog Creek Shelter is at
>2850' elevation.
>
>Be prepared for anything..
>:-)
>Wench