[at-l] Gifts for people getting ready to thru-hike

Richard Calkins racalkins at msn.com
Wed Feb 4 13:53:49 CST 2009

a lighter that won't burn their fingers when they try to light their alcohol stove -- ($12.95) SOLO candle lighters:

http://www.gearforadventure.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1354&click=14

a 2 gallon water bag for hauling water back to camp and filtering it while sitting at the picnic table (you can set it on the ground and it won't spill out):  $9.99 at campmore:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80728

"tokens" they could carry with them (mine was a pair of rabbit ears, my hiking partner had a stuffed animal that rode on her dog's pack like a cowboy)

Lightweight toys and games

A hand-made flag or banner

Cheers,
Longhaul

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:45:43 -0500From: Nina.Rogers at DrakeSoftware.comTo: at-l at backcountry.netSubject: [at-l] Gifts for people getting ready to thru-hike

Any suggestions? All I can think of is stamps for postcards. Do people even use phone cards anymore? I got a bunch of them before my hike, and appreciated them very much, but that was in the dark ages.

I’m giving a party for some friends who are getting ready to thru-hike and want to give people suggestions for fun gifts they can bring. I’ve come up with a great list of what not to buy (bowling balls, fine china, etc.) I’m drawing a blank for gifts that could actually be useful, though. Anyone?

Waterfall