[at-l] JetBoil

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Fri Feb 6 19:45:59 CST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 8:03 PM, EHamilton wrote:

> Advantages:
> It boils water really fast. I could boil 2 pints in the time it
> would take me for 1 cup with the soda can (I haven't made a Supercat.)

Are you in that much of a hurry?

> Disadvantages to soda-can or Supercat:
> Slower to boil water.
> Might be hard to start in cold weather.

Not that I've noticed.

> What do some of the rest of you think? Based on personal use? If I
> don't use the JetBoil cup/pot for rehydrating and eating out of, it
> seems pretty fancy, heavy, and tricky for just boiling water. But my
> friend surprised me with it and I feel guilty not to use it :-(

The Jetboil users I've met have been very happy with their stoves.
But on the other hand so have the alcohol stove users I've met.

I don't think you should choose gear for a 2000 mile trek based on
guilt.  Try cooking a few meals with the Jetboil and see how you like
it.