[at-l] JetBoil

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Sat Feb 7 07:36:44 CST 2009

Use the JetBoil for early cooler part of your hike and in
September/October when summer heat has cooled down.  Who needs water
to boil fast when you have long warm days of late Spring and Summer.
So switch to soda can stove for warm weather and longer days.  Seems
like a win win to me.

Gabby Art  AT04

>I might have asked this before. I can't remember and it would take a
>looooong search through the archives since, if I did, I can't
>remember what month it was.
>
>Anyway. I'm looking for input on JetBoil vs. soda-can or Supercat
>stove. A friend gave me a JetBoil set which is, of course, very
>efficient. And she was a sweetheart to give it to me.... pricey.
>
>Disadvantages:
>It's heavy.
>Might not always be able to get fuel (does Snowpeak or similar work?)
>It has parts that can break (she did include replacement o-rings and jets.)
>When hot, night burn my cozy, which is my knit hat, or I can just
>boil water in it and pour that into my re-hydrating/eating
>container, which is a cottage cheese container with lid, which then
>goes into the  cozy/hat
>
>Advantages:
>It boils water really fast. I could boil 2 pints in the time it
>would take me for 1 cup with the soda can (I haven't made a
>Supercat.)
>
>Disadvantages to soda-can or Supercat:
>Slower to boil water.
>Might be hard to start in cold weather.
>I'm still looking for the perfect pot (can't find a grease pot, been
>using a Dinty Moore can)
>
>Advantages:
>Lightweight
>Fuel readily available
>Fun ('cuz my name is MacGyver.... thru-hiker gave it to me b/c of my
>jury-rigged gear)
>Nothing to break or go wrong
>Fits inside my coffee cup which fits inside my rehydrating container
>which fits inside my cooking can which fits inside the lid I made
>for the can
>
>What do some of the rest of you think? Based on personal use? If I
>don't use the JetBoil cup/pot for rehydrating and eating out of, it
>seems pretty fancy, heavy, and tricky for just boiling water. But my
>friend surprised me with it and I feel guilty not to use it :-(
>
>Macgyver

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman