[at-l] JetBoil vs. Alcohol Stove

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 16:40:47 CST 2009

I used an alcohol stove for all the AT, The LT, many very cold snowy winter
trips & in spring, summer, fall in New England. In the cold, the wind, the
rain. It's not quick, requires a little tinkering, and knowing a few tricks
of the trade. But it works for me.
Like many topics discussed here I cannot suggest strongly enough to go try
it.

Step out in the back yard and cook dinner with both. Try them in the wind,
the rain, the cold.

Then get out for some long day hikes and test them "in the field". Try some
overnites and even better some multiday hikes to really appreciate your
trial of both.

It's pretty hard to simulate how much YOU personally might appreciate
simplicity, quick boil time and ease of use vs. the simplicity of non
technology and lightweight.

Go for it!

Worst case too is nothing is forever. You always ship anything home and
switch to something else. (But why wait for the AT to find out what you
don't care for?)

FedEx