[at-l] JetBoil vs. Alcohol Stove

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 19:55:51 CST 2009

Thank you, Fed Ex and everyone else who's given input.

As a matter of fact, I have field-tested both of them, on overnight trips and also for a 3-day backyard campout that included 2 nights in the 20's. I liked the efficiency of the JetBoil best, but the simplicity and the "what can go wrong?" of the soda-can, although I needed a priming pan in the cold.

I never thought of it myself, but Gabby Art suggested taking the JB for cold weather and switching to the more-fun soda can when the weather warms up and evenings are lazier. That's a really good idea.

Today I did a 4-hour hike (didn't take a GPS but it was somewhere between 10 and 12 miles) with a 20# pack (building up to 30# before I start.) Then I came home and had a meal of some of my dehydrated trail food with just boiling water poured over it, trailwise. My pre-cooked-then-dehydrated brown rice was still a little crunchy after 10 minutes. Simmering in the JetBoil would have done the trick.

Or I could just add it to the water to come to a boil along with the water and then pour the water and rice into the rest of the food. In case anyone wants to know, it was cooked-then-dried red beans, dried carrots, dried mixed greens, garlic powder, onion powder, Old Bay, a little salt, a McDonald's ketchup packet, and a couple glugs of olive oil. It was very good, would have been better if the rice had simmered a little.

Guess I'll start with the JetBoil. Then I won't feel bad about not using it after my friend surprised me with it :-)

MacGyver, who nevretheless likes to jury-rig her own stuff

From: GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com

I used an alcohol stove for all the AT, The LT, many very cold snowy winter trips & in spring, summer, fall in New England. In the cold, the wind, the rain. It's not quick, requires a little tinkering, and knowing a few tricks of the trade. But it works for me.

Like many topics discussed here I cannot suggest strongly enough to go try it.

Step out in the back yard and cook dinner with both. Try them in the wind, the rain, the cold.

Then get out for some long day hikes and test them "in the field". Try some overnites and even better some multiday hikes to really appreciate your trial of both.

It's pretty hard to simulate how much YOU personally might appreciate simplicity, quick boil time and ease of use vs. the simplicity of non technology and lightweight.

Go for it!

Worst case too is nothing is forever. You always ship anything home and switch to something else. (But why wait for the AT to find out what you don't care for?)

FedEx