[at-l] Camp cornbread

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 12:59:42 CST 2009

I just worked this out. Probably it's been done before but I'm thrilled b/c it's another carbohydrate option for a gal who doesn't do wheat -- at least not more than once a week or so -- b/c it necessitates digging too many catholes. Sorry, TMI, but I'm thrilled w/ the cornbread. Here goes:

1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

OR, in bulk:
For each cup cornmeal, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt, mix very well. Measure out or eyeball 1/4 cup for a single serving and put it in a Ziploc bag. Add a little water (you be the judge), enough to make a thick batter or very moist dough when squished up in the bag -- about the thickness of applesauce.

Squeeze air out of the bag, seal, drop into boiling water, reduce to simmer, which it would probably do by itself on a camp stove since it would cool the boiling water a bit. Helpful if you don't have a stove that simmers. I covered mine.

In about 10 minutes, check to see if it's solidified, then dump it out of the bag, or leave it in the bag and put it in your cozy to stay warm while you rehydrate whatever you're having with it, with the water you "baked" the cornbread in, killing two birds with one stone.

 It's an odd shape, kind of glob-shaped but it's bread. A bit on the dry side, so it needs a topping of squeeze margarine, oil, or chili or whatever you've rehydrated. Not the best cornbread I've ever had but the mix is packable and the results are edible. You could add sugar to the mix, too.

MacGyver