[at-l] keeping bulk and weight down

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 20:55:55 CST 2009

OK, I'll bite. What do you take and what does each item weigh?

I'm doing my best to keep my pack weight low but I don't have the wherewithal to buy all the latest state-of-the-art SUL high-tech stuff. Like, a titanium pot, when a slightly heavier Dinty Moore can is free. My warm-layer long pants are my mid-weight running tights. Mid-weight top is an acrylic zip-front hooded cardigan sweater from the Salvation Army. SmartWool might have been lighter but $70 for a top.

Most of my stuff is put together from cast-offs, going as light as I can with what I have to work with.

MacGyver

From: Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com

At one time I had my Dry Pack ( i.e., excluding Fuel, Food & Water) weight
down to 12-16 lbs.

As I have gotten older, it is slipping back up.  Not as spry as I was.

Now I carry 19lb 8.1oz for -10* to 30*; 15lb 12.2oz for 30* to 50*; and 14lb
7.8oz for 50* +.

My point?  Need to keep your hike fun.  Too much weight = no fun.  Too little
gear = no fun.  It's a personal thing and as always YMMV.

Chainsaw